Sunday, September 18

Growing Oyster Mushrooms At Home



Maybe you like oyster mushrooms, my family and I love them. Sometimes, when my dad goes to the fresh market he sees them on display and buys some right away. The only problem is, the pack of oyster mushroom is a wee bit pricey, for the small amount in a pack. One day, however, my mom received a package of mushroom kits from PotHed Inc.

She told me that they were gourmet mushroom kits, which lets us grow our own mushrooms at home. It takes around 10 to 14 days before they fully grow, like the one in the picture, we could harvest and cook them for a meal (YUM). It is affordable too. The grey oyster mushrooms, like the big ones in the picture, cost 75 pesos but, I don't know how much the pink and the white kits cost, but I'll bet that they're affordable too. It's organic as well. And they are quite easy to grow, we just had to water and watch!

When we grew the mushrooms, first, we chose a dark place, a spare cabinet, so that it would not get exposed to direct sunlight and so that my younger siblings won't get them. Then, we used the trays to catch excess water and the bottle sprayer? Well, we used that to keep the mushrooms hydrated. It takes 10-14 days for mushrooms to grow. It was nice to have the growing kits which can yield up to four times, after we harvest the first batch, we can just continue to water them regularly and we get to have more mushrooms. After that we add the leftover soil into our compost pit in the front yard vegetable garden. So, technically, it means that all parts of the kit can be used! So I hope you like this, thanks for reading!



0 comments:

Post a Comment